Wednesday, August 4, 2010

I've Gone Coo-Coo

You know what you don't see enough of these days? Coo-Coo clocks.

Is this the proper spelling? Or is it Koo-Koo? Kew-Kew? Coup-Coup? Wierd. I'm fairly sure it isn't Coup-Coup but who really knows? I wonder if the spelling problem is partially responsible for the demise of these loud, irritating, bird popping-out timepieces? Really. How can you market something when you can't spell it? What would you put on the box? Maybe just "clock". Nah, nobody would buy that. Sounds too generic. White box with bold black letters "CLOCK"

Another problem with the aforementioned clocks are the chains hanging down with the cast iron pine cones attached to them. Forget to pull the chains for a few days and you just might be late for work.
You can't set them on a nightstand either...won't work. You have to hang them on the wall. There you go knocking holes in the drywall.
Is there no end to the problems with these things? No wonder they aren't so popular anymore.

A Coo-Coo clock would make a pretty spooky alarm clock if it had, instead of a little colorful birdie, maybe a snake head or a creepy space alien that popped out of it... or fire. Maybe if you're an early morning smoker you could light your cigarette first thing with your fire breathing alarm clock. There go your eyebrows!
Hey, what if a hot cup of coffee popped out? Now were talking.

Seriously if anyone decides to patent the fire breathing clock/lighter I want some royalties or at least some recognition for coming up with the idea. On second thought never mind, there could be some legal problems related to the design and manufacture of something that cool. Like lawn darts...I bet they're rethinking that decision.

Thats about all I have tonight. Thanks for stopping by and sharing (wasting?) 3 minutes of your lunch break with me. (Yeah, I know it isn't your lunch break, thats me you have on hold!!)

5 comments:

Spot said...

I thought they were KuKu clocks? Lol. I don't know why anyone would want one, but what if it had a ghost pop out? Then it could be a "BooBoo" clock. Oh hell, I need some sleep.

So glad you're back to blogland! I missed you!

♥Spot

kathryn said...

How about Pkoux-Pkoux clock? The "p" is silent, of course....and you have to say it with one pinkie and your nose in the air...all snooty-like. People will buy ANYTHING if they think it's all hoity-toity.

I have several retorts to the "pulling the chain" part of your post but I'll save them for another time.

I do not believe that something made to advise me of the time should make any noise whatsoever. (Disclaimer: Unless it says "It's 5-o'clock somewhere!" and spits out a perfectly chilled martini.)

Whee! So happy to "see" you!

Danica-Dragonfly said...

It's "Cuckoo" ... you Dodo ... ya'know ... after the annoying little birdie that pops out??

I can not tell you how friggen happy I am to spend any of my minutes reading your thoughts on time pieces ... or whatever.

Mark Price said...

Well thank you all. I think maybe Danica has the correct spelling. Who knows. The important thing is that we seem to agree that they are annoying based on the sounds they make, but could be made less annoying depending on what pops out of them. Hmm, kind of like a drive up liquor store window.

fheathermoore said...

Christ! I remember my granny having one of those. I forgot they even existed!

What about a PooPoo clock? It fires out...well you know what it fires out. That'll wake you up in the morning!