Monday, August 9, 2010

Who Are We...Really?

I was thinking about my blog today. A bunch of posts dealing with everything under the sun. Some funny and some not so funny. Some can only be catagorized as random thoughts of a lunatic. While I was thinking, I began to wonder why I started this thing in the first place. Looking back to my very first post I was reminded that I intended to help a friend with some funny ideas for her screenplay. I don't think my blog posts would make a very good movie. Too many characters and way too many different storylines for a viewer to follow.

I think about my blog in its present state as odd seeds that I have strewn about. The seeds are of some unknown origin so I had no way of knowing what might grow. With my friends, family, and events past and current serving as the fertilizer and water for my seeds, I have grown something quite unique. Some readers may look and see a wild unkempt plot of weeds and brush while others may see a lovely garden. I'm not sure that it matters what my readers see as long as they giggle once in awhile at the funny stuff and maybe just maybe it might make someone look at the world through someone elses eyes...mine. (bloodshot as they usually are)

Thats pretty much how I look at other peoples posts. Reading them makes me wonder what they are really like. Not in a judging way, just curious. If there were a crowd of bloggers in a large room would we be able to distinguish who was who? Yeah we all have photos but lets say now that we can't actually see one another.

BLING! (thats the sound of a light coming on in my head...crap I hope it isn't a truck...hey am I in the street? no? good!) How much fun would it be to post unsigned blogs on a group blogger page and try to figure out who wrote what? How well do we know each others writing styles. Are we recognizable to each other minus our personal information? No kid names, job descriptions or references to regular characters. Is there such a thing as a writing STYLE? Or is it all about content? I'm truly curious...if anyone is interested in giving this a shot let me know. Tell your bleeps who also might want to play along. Worst case scenario it is a huge failure and nobody participates. Best case scenario, we all learn a little bit about what our rambling says about us and we might get introduced to some new blogs.

Let me know. It might be fun.

6 comments:

Jessica said...

Mark! I've been meaning to stop over and say hi....but as you can tell from my lack of posting anything...at all...I'm way behind.

First: love your project idea. I'd do it....am I supposed to say that here?.... Second: glad you're back! We've missed you.

Danica-Dragonfly said...

I think that is a great idear!!

I feel fairly confident I could pick you and Spot out ... and AA if she joined in the fun. I don't follow everyone that you do, so I'm not so sure I'd get many more than that ... but I'd certainly play along.

I think many of us DO have a style. In fact ... there is a whole branch of scientific study dedicated to this very topic. Apparently we use the same vocab and punctuation in most of our writing.

I'm fairly certain my use of the ellipsis (...) would give me away in a snap!!

Mark Price said...

Hi! I'm so glad you guys stopped over! Where the hell is everyone else? Busy summer I guess. The community blog is set up so write on! bleeps2010.blogspot.com is the url. Become a follower and I will send you the password... Then you can pass it out to whomever you like...but ask them to become a follower so we can all check out their blogs and have a pool to guess from about who wrote what. JUST FUN...NO PRESSURE TO BE AWESOME (but I think you all are!) This could be fun right? Feel free to tell whomever you want, the more the merrier. I hope this doesn't suck.

kathryn said...

We SHALL be awesome!

As is your blog, mister. I definitely do NOT see weeds...I see a lovely, wildly colorful, well-tended garden. You've made me laugh and you've made me cry.

If that isn't the sign of a good writer, than what is??

fheathermoore said...

Ooo this sounds very interesting Mark! I completely agree that people have a style. I know my own writing style, but the style I write in is taylored for my subject. You'll see!

Jerry said...

Okay...you've convinced me. I need to return again and again just to try to keep up with you.