Thursday, September 24, 2009

What is blogging?

I was wondering to myself last night, What is blogging? Are bloggers writers? Well sort of I guess. So since I blog could I write a book? Probably not. Too many pages too many different characters and situations and there's no way I could focus long enough to finish a whole book. One of my favorite writers is Lee Child. He writes books about a character named Jack Reacher. Very cool guy, tough, always around when trouble needs a place to happen. Where do these characters come from and how do the situations and story lines evolve? It truly is a gift to be able to write a whole book. Nope, I just don't see it in my future but you never know. I will continue to blog because I like to write things down and share thoughts but I am borderline attention deficit disordered I think. I only go a little way with a thought then I let it go, or it morphs into some other thought sometimes totally unrelated. I'm ok with it though. Look at the free time I have. My friend wrote a book once, got it published, and is quite famous, well semi-famous, well I think she is cool. The time and effort that she put into her book blew me away. And she got it right too, her book is really good. I got a little sneak peek at it before publishing, which was kind of neat, I suppose that is what working for the newspaper feels like. You just want to tell people "Oh wait till you read this!" Kind of like the upper hand or an ace in the hole. I know something you don't know! If she is reading this post THANK YOU !! I bought a copy of the book even though I had already read it. I will be expecting her to do the same if I ever get published. Really I need the $7.99 Oh all right $1.99 on the clearance rack, behind the three month old tv guides. Why would they keep tv guides 3 months? Duh, for the crossword puzzles! Theres an idea for me, If I were to put some crossword puzzles and word searches and sudoku's in my book, I would appeal to a wider fan base. Maybe even some pictures for little kids to color in, I could do a deal with a crayon company to include those little packages of crayons that you get at restaurants to color in the placemats. (Don't pretend you never did it!) And my book could be in several different shelves in the book store. I'm a freakin marketing genius, or not, it remains to be seen. I have noticed lately that I am shamelessly begging people to read and follow my blog, I'm not exactly sure why. It was originally just for me and maybe a handful of others and I didn't care if anyone read it or not. Is this normal? Do other bloggers want blog-groupies, or would blog fans be a better statement? Hmm, interesting.

2 comments:

Danica-Dragonfly said...

I have recently discovered a similar phenomenon in my own little world. I started my blog solely for therapy. I used to write regularly in a journal, but time constraints just don't allow for that anymore ... and so - my blog was born.

Since then, I have picked up a few followers ... and let me say - it's like freakin' crack!!! I LIVE for comments. Then I experience almost deafening shame because I am looking for validation from (mostly) complete strangers. I am learning that this is the norm.

I am also learning that many bloggers fancy themselves as writers. I'm sure many are ... some that I follow are so eloquent with their offerings they turn me into a green eyed monster.

So, here's a nugget - I really enjoy your sense of ha ha and your ability to share it via the written word.

Keep writing and I'll keep reading (for whatever that is worth)

D

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!