Monday, November 15, 2010

Choices

I found this handwritten post lying on my desk today. I remember writing it shortly before setting off on my roadtrip. I was in a very different place when I wrote it but it seems like a pretty good message. Here it is.

Yesterday evening I was driving down the highway going due South. I noticed that in the sky to the West was one of the most beautiful evening sunsets that I had ever seen. Brilliant yellows and glowing orange with every shade of blue from almost white through the entire spectrum to almost black, it was really lovely. To the East were dark clouds threatning storms and bad weather. Right at that moment it occurred to me that I was at a crossroads in my life and the evening sky represented choices that lay ahead of me. It really caused me to think. Think about where I wanted to be. What sort of life was I destined to lead. Recently hurt, anger, and frustration had become my norm. I sometimes felt it was easier to just be hurt and angry. Just go with the norm. And yet...I longed for the more pleasant side. The beautiful sunset represented peace, calm, and warmth. I warm body to to hold on to, a lover to share intimate moments and a friend to laugh with.

I have seen many paintings and photos and it occurs to me that turbulence and storms are more easily captured in artists works than is the magic of a perfect sunset. Perhaps the same is true of living our lives on the gentler more understanding side. It sometimes seems that although it may take more effort to capture that beauty and magic, the moments that we are able to capture it are worth the extra hard work.

There will always be storms. I am trying my very best to remember that after the storms the dark clouds will move on for the night and leave behind a breathtaking sunset.

Have a good Monday Bleeps!!

5 comments:

kathryn said...

Aw. Beautiful sentiment, my friend. And the truth is that it's harder to remember to acknowledge the calm...'cause it's those rocky, dramatic times that always catch our attention. The calm times have a way of flying just under the radar...and yet those are the lovely, sweet moments that we need to remember...and embrace.
See? I can be philosophical, too!

Jerry said...

There are continual avenues for choice in our lives and we always seem to nod toward the apparent non-choice avenue....the do nothing choice. Many times these decisions catch up with us roaring with conflict. Without thought, we want to roar back....another choice.

I like and appreciate your thought here. It is something that needs to be pondered.

Danica-Dragonfly said...

Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, may all your wishes come true!

Anonymous said...

It`s really interesting to reed. But all thk about other. Why so?