Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Roadtrip!

So I decided to take a little trip to help clear my head. What a trip it has been, and its only Tuesday night! Last Saturday I went to Kansas City to attend a concert with some friends. Roger Waters (of Pink Floyd)was performing "The Wall" Let me just say...WOW! Outstanding performance, amazing visuals, positive message. Best concert I have ever seen or will see I suspect. So after the concert I slept over at my friends house and planned an early departure the following morning.
Day 1: Leave Missouri and head for Hillsboro Iowa to visit a family member who is terminally ill and hasn't a lot of time left. We had a very serious talk and we laughed and cried and hugged one another. I may not see Richard again in this life but I know one day we will meet again. I stayed an hour or so and was on my way once again. East into Illinois and on to Indiana. My first night was spent at a very nice Holiday Inn Express in Crawfordsville Indiana a few miles north of Indianapolis. Did 30 minutes on the treadmill and off to bed.
Day 2: Leave Indiana and head for Ohio. I had never been to Ohio and really just wanted to touch the state. I arrived in Cincinnati early in the day and went about looking for something to do. You come all the way to Ohio you better at least see something cool right? I found myself about to park at the zoo and the nice lady at the parking lot told me about a place called Newport Kentucky. It was just across the river and she said it was a cool place to hang out. Off I go to Newport. Wow, what a cool place. I went to the riverwalk area and spent a couple of hours in the aquarium looking at fish and sharks and all things watery. There were a bunch of little kids there and they made me remember that things really are supposed to make you go "Oooo and AAaaahh" There are a lot of creatures out there in the world, beautiful animals, big animals, and tiny ones too. Maybe the funniest thing I saw there was a tank full of little eels that live in the sand. They would poke their heads up until I waved my hand in front of them then they vanished right back down into their hiding places. Sort of like wack a mole but with tiny eels. After my visit to the aquarium I figured I had better get on down the road. I headed due east and ended up in Charleston West Virginia. If you go there you have to see the capitol building...it is amazing. I stayed at the Holiday Inn and would have had a lovely time had I not decided to drown my sorrows in too many drinks. Long story short, I got to spend a few hours in the hospital with alcohol poisoning. Fun? NO.
Day 3: So after my near death drinking binge I was off again driving east. I dont recommend driving after a night of binge drinking. Add to my already queasy head and guts I drank the better part of a pot of coffee to get me started. Yeah, a tad bit jittery. Driving was a nightmare and so I gave it up after just over 100 miles. I had landed in Lewisburg West Virginia. Ok I was sick all day but still had enough sense to look around while I was headed down the west virginia turnpike. UNBELIEVABLE SCENERY! Really. The 4 bucks I paid for tolls was nothing. I would have paid more just to see it. I recommend the drive, you will thank me later. That brings me to where I am now. Tomorrow I plan to drive up to Fredricksburg Virginia and have lunch with a friend who lives there. Then I may start back towards Kansas. I havent decided for sure. I dont really care to backtrack cause I have seen that stuff already. Maybe I will go a more southerly route back home. Anyway check back for my continuing adventures! Night!

5 comments:

Danica-Dragonfly said...

Okay ... first thing's first ... I am SO STINKIN' JEALOUS you got to see any part of Floyd! So stinkin' jealous!!

Now that THAT is outta the way:

You are scaring me a little, bud. I mean, the road trip is cool and all ... but where is your lovely wife? How come you are blazing out alone? And for CRISSAKE - DO NOT be drinking yourself into the hospital. There are those of us out here in the world what love you in our own cyber-stalky way.

I hope things are well for you ... did you think about swinging by and saying 'hey' to Spot??

Take care of my friend, Mark. I miss him.

D

Mark Price said...

Danica! Hellooooo. I sent u a message on facebook that should answer all your questions...or make you ask more. Either way it's great to hear from you!

toddx said...

You could have driven west, you know. It was in the 70s in SF today. And the Giants are back in town.

VA gal 4 now said...

It was a treat to see you! Luv ya, buuuuuuddy! ;) Looking forward to the roadtrip out west! MUAH!

~ Ruth ~

kathryn said...

You freakin' nut. The travelling part? Who doesn't love a road trip?
The alcohol poisoning? Yikes. At least it got you to switch over to coffee.

Now, we'll get you to segway over into...I dunno...maybe a V-8??