Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Amazon you're a genius!

Guess what I got for Christmas? Yes a Kindle. Oh it's really cool. But the coolest thing is how Amazon sold a toy that is never ever paid for! They are marketing geniuses! I know right? See how it works is this, first you buy the Kindle, then you decide you may want to use it on a road trip so you buy a car charger, then you buy a lovely case for it to protect your investment.

So Christmas comes and you get all giddy and happy even though the cat was let out of the bag a couple of weeks ago when you got that confirmation e-mail from Amazon saying your Kindle and case and accessories would be delivered soon. So you happily open your new gift and begin to check it out and it is all good and everyone is happy and then you decide you want to read a book on it like right now. Yep, they want another $10 or so but it is cool because you have the new book in less than a minute. I know right? It was sooo cool that after I read that book I ordered another one...$10 again, but I have a new book to read in less than a minute and I didn't have to go to the book store or library or even get in my car that was buried in the snow.

It could be that my new Kindle saved my life. The roads were terribly snowy and dangerous but thanks to the marketing geniuses at Amazon, I was safe in my little room. They maybe should advertise the life saving qualities of their product.

I think that Lovely will soon take my new toy away from me lest we end up homeless in the streets due to my lust for literature and the coolness of a whole book arriving on my machine in like 60 seconds.

OK, I know that there are some folks on here who have made their blogs available to subscribe to on the Kindle. I have to say I probably won't subscribe because I get to read these awesome blogs for free right here on blogger. If ever comes a time that I can't read them due to broken down computer or if I am whisked off to outer space as a captive of aliens, I then will subscribe to the Kindle blogs.(note: if the aliens are female with say 3 boobs I may just stow away on their spaceship)

I did however find a serious problem with my Kindle...I can't loan a Kindle book to a friend. That sucks for me and for my friends but I think that for Amazon it will be very profitable. Based on this fact alone, I am recommending Amazon stock as a strong buy for the short term. I will post a quick note when the Lovely wife takes my new toy away. I will title it SELL! SELL! SELL!

7 comments:

Heather said...

Sounds like you got a fab present Mark! Tell me, do you get eye strain looking at them? I know I can't read books on computer for any length of time because my eyes get sore, but I can read a book for endless hours with no problems. I see that Amazon actually sold more Kindle books than actual books this Christmas. I hope it's not the demise of the physical thing as I love to hold a book in my hand. Oh, and I don't think I'll be making my blog available there as I don't think people would be interested lol.

Spot said...

Oh my. I think I'd get addicted to having a book in less than a minute too. That might be a very bad thing. But as you pointed out, there are instances where it might save my life. Or someone elses (I tend to get very cranky when I run out of books!) The whole not being able to loan would suck though as I almost never buy a book anymore unless I know at least one other person will read it.

Seems like we all got fab presents this year! Go digital age!! And it's okay if you'd rather read my blog for free than subscribe via kindle. I still can't figure out why anyone would choose to pay for something they get for free? Although, once I'm rich and famous...Haha.

♥Spot

Danica-Dragonfly said...

*eyes turn green with envy*


*sticks tongue out and blows raspberry in your general direction*

You and Spot.

That's all I guts to say.

*pouts away*

Mark Price said...

Heather it is very easy on the eyes. they call it real-page or something and it is just like reading a book.

Spot, it is soooo cool to get them delivered so fast. The no loaning thing is a drag though. I will prolly still buy regular books too.

Danica, don't pout away! You get to live in the lovely north while Spot and I are stuck here in the midwest. All the crappy weather but without the sweet views.

kathryn said...

HA! I LOVE your enthusiastic comment to the 60-second download...you sound like a RAD DUDE..."I know, right??"

Gee...wouldn't you rather put your OWN blog on Amazon and then subscribe to it on Kindle and then surprise yourself every couple of days with a new post? Only .99 a month! Can't beat that!

...and it'll download in under 60 seconds!

toddx said...

I went to a real bookstore today and bought a real book. When I'm finished, I can lend it out or put it on my shelf to admire. I could even trade it in at a used bookstore.

Oh, Kindle, why would you deny me these simple pleasures?

Mark Price said...

Kathryn, I never thought of that...but I am now. I bet my .99 subscription wouldn't net me back my 12 bucks a year. Hmmm what to do...

Todd, maybe if it ever snowed in Califonia you would see a huge benefit of the mighty Kindle, or not. (it just might have saved my life you know)

Elroy, Hi, thanks for stopping by.