Saturday, October 31, 2009

Memories

OK Readers this is sooo not my normal post content but I wrote it and I am posting it. Hate it? Too bad. My blog, my rules!

Well one of my favorite holidays has come and gone. Time to put away the styrofoam Jack-o-Lanterns for another 12 long months.

I really like Halloween. The children at my door and their shouts of "trick or treat", The colorful costumes and the smiling painted faces. Mom or Dad standing back on the sidewalk watching their little ones taking what may be their first solo flight into the world. Reminding them to always say thank you before leaving the porch. Perhaps remembering their youth, and feeling a little older, but at the same time proud that their offspring are carrying on a tradition that preceeds even their parents, and smiling.

I noticed that the smallest ghoulies, the first timers, are 100% against putting candy in their bag. They prefer to have the candy in their hands. Maybe they feel that, using the bag is akin to putting the goodies away. Older kids say in the 5yrs thru 8yrs range will use the goodie bag but they will look inside it even though they clearly saw you drop the candy inside. Still older kids above say 8yrs don't seem to care as long as you give them something. They have an agenda, fill this thing up with as much stuff as possible before Mom or Dad says it's time to go home. Their vast experience, gained from Halloweens past, has taught them that this collection process will end all too soon, and they know they need to hit as many homes as possible during the time allowed.

If memory serves, getting home was almost as exciting as being out there in the fracas. I remember dumping out my bounty on the kitchen table and discovering what beautiful sugary treasures I had accumulated throughout the night. There I would sit, gazing upon my loot thinking about how delicious it all looked, my mouth watering at the thought of all that candy.

Now as an adult I can still go back to that special time. I see it in the faces of the little ones at my door and I remember. Thank you little ones, for giving me back a few hours of my youth. See you next year!

10 comments:

Danica-Dragonfly said...

Wow, Mark - it's like you were inside my head ... though I will point out the presence of the African drum band in there at present...

I (along with my hubby) got to be that parent standing at the base of the steps awaiting my gouls as they collected their loot.

It was close to 18 degrees last night. The sky was a good spooky one ... huge big moon and ample drifting clouds obscuring it from view here and there.

I too enjoy halloween. As does that man o mine. It gets lost in the shuffel of my life and I hate that, but we had a ball.

Thanks for that highly nostalgic post :)

Spot said...

Awww. This was a good post. It's one of my fav holidays too. Unfortunately, we don't get trick or treaters at our house because we live in the middle of nowhere. And my babies are all too old to trick or treat, but you brought up some amazing memories for me. Gosh I miss those times.

Thank you for the sweetly sentimental trip down memory lane.

♥Spot

Mark Price said...

Thanks for the lovely comments ladies. Sorry but I will most likely be going back to my usual dung infested collection of bad phrasing and non-sense soon. LOL Hope you had a great holiday! Good luck Spot, I expect updates on your word counts! You can do it!!!

Anonymous said...

I remember that...the pouring out of candy...I dumped mine on the floor, though. More space. :)

kathryn said...

Aw! You've really captured the magic of the holiday!

I love the way you broke down the age groups....esp. the ones who have to check in the bag to make sure you've really put the candy in there.

Great post!

Mark Price said...

Jessica, thanks for coming by I know you are crazy busy with the nanowrimo. I expect updates on your wordcounts as well. Good luck!
Katryn, Thanks it was weird writing something un-funny for a change...what? none of my posts are funny? ouch. lol

BlackLOG said...

I feel cheated, when I grew up in the UK there was no trick or treating, so I don't have the same nostalgia that you have. That has changed, we now get as many teenage youff's, who don't even bother dressing up, appearing at our door. I send Mrs. B fore each knock because she is really good at demanding they do something for the booty. Since they are clueless weasels, they generally shuffle off, picking their noses to give them enough energy to make it to the next property....

rachaelgking said...

Awww. I love Halloween too! Fun and free candy- is there anything better? ;-)

Cynica Sarcastamos said...

Oh, the pain! The pain of it all!

I'm with you - not luvin' that Halloween is over, and completely missing that there is not a scary movie or a Halloween history show on every TV channel now. Plus, to nail that coffin shut, my neighbors have taken all of their their loaded candy bowls in. Dammmmmmnit!

I sure hope Spot will keep us covered with her spooky tales...

Leese said...

I remember my older brother hiding his "special" candy in the empty flour cannister on the fridge.

How do I know that?

Heheheh.. well,let's just say that he wasn't the ONLY one who knew there was an empty cannister up there!!

BWAHAHAHahahahhahaha!!!