Saturday, October 17, 2009

Thanks Jim!

Today I will be showing my age.
I really like animals. So today I want to dedicate a post to Jim Fowler of the TV show "Wild Kingdom".

As a kid, I often thought, who has a cooler job than this guy? Travelling around the world seeing new places, and working with all those wonderful animals. Jim's job wasn't all peaches and cream though. His other half, Ol' Marlin Perkins was always making Jim do all the dirty work.

Marlin: "While Jim wrestles the angry water buffalo, I will stay in the safety of the hut. Just look at Jim go! See his bulging muscles, and notice the curvature of his taut, athletic buns!"

OK I made up the buns thing, the rest however is fairly accurate if my memory serves. I wonder if Jim ever got wealthy handling all those animals? He should have. I remember seeing him several times on late night talk shows with various snakes and critters. The host of the show usually got creeped out at some point and asked him to put the offending animals away. But not before the audience had a good laugh.

So Jim, this blogs for you! You have given us a lot of warm fuzzy moments and also some really good laughs. You spent a good part of your life teaching us that animals are to be respected, not feared. For these things we say THANKS!

11 comments:

Cynica Sarcastamos said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cynica Sarcastamos said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cynica Sarcastamos said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cynica Sarcastamos said...

This fun post inspired me to Google Jim Fowler to see if he's still breathing and Google says he's a Math Professor at Ohio State University now. Well somebody named Jim Fowler is...
I loved Jim Fowler! The buff young guy on the show! Of course he was way older than me but compared to Marlin...
I have a painting on my wall that I bought at the San Diego Zoo a kabillion years ago. It's called "Pal's" and it's two elephants' butts - painted by non other thaaaaaan...
BETSY Fowler! ------- Jim's wife. ((*.*)) Cool, huh?
You should ring him up. I'm sure he'd love to hear from you!

Mark Price said...

Cynica, I would feel weird talking to Jim. A math professor? Hmm. Somebody has deleted a crapload of posts. ugh, I'm always curious what they wrote that they thought was unworthy of our eyeballz. Freaky deaky. Go read today's post.

Spot said...

Wild Kindom! That brings back a shit ton of memories. I used to love that show! But I was pretty little so I didn't remember the host or Jim's names. Thanks for slipping me that info! How do you go from wild animal handler to math professer? Seems like step down on the "fun" ladder.

Remember how Wild Kingdom was sponsered by "Mutual of Omaha"? I always thought Omaha sounded like a fun place to go. Huh. Maybe I wasn't the brightest kid...

♥Spot

Mark Price said...

Spot, I was in Omaha once, my truck broke down and a super cool mechanic fixed it for like 20 bucks on a Saturday. I guess Omaha is a cool place. Did the angry villagers find you the other day?

Cynica Sarcastamos said...

All the deleted comments were from me... Sorry. It is evident that ambien and smartphones don't mix.
Or perhaps I am just not smarter than a fifth grader.

Mark Price said...

Cynica, read the little pamphlet that comes with your meds. It clearly states no smartphones,and no heavy equipment usage while under the influence

Spot said...

No. I managed to evade the angry villagers yet again! On that same note, I actually met two psychics from Omaha once at a party. Apparently Omaha is the place to be if you're psychic. Who'd have guessed?

♥Spot

Leese said...

Marlin Perkins!! Marlin FREAKIN' Perkins!! OMG.. talk about memories!!

And your right about Jim. He rocked!

... but I was too young to be interested in his taut, athletic buns!!