Monday, October 19, 2009

Well Done!

I bitch about my job...frequently. The crappy hours the no days off and most of all the boredom. On a recent trip however I decided that I didnt have the worst job ever, or even the most boring one.

Our main line in Kansas City runs past a huge, abandoned building complex. Some of the buildings have missing doors, and most have their windows knocked out. The area is however, for some odd reason unbeknownst to me, patrolled by a security guard. Really? This makes as much sense to me as putting a lock on my garbage can. Anyway the security company has a guy who drives around the area in a little truck all night long, armed only with a spotlight and his razor sharp wit. I call him the "Protector of The Cones!" See there's a little driveway that crosses our tracks and someone has put up 3 traffic cones to prevent vehicles from entering the area. Anyone on foot can enter anywhere, because there is no fence. A good part of the time the security man can be found parked directly behind these cones. Bravely protecting them from, I don't know...cone bandits?

This guy has got to be so bored he wants to kill himself every night. I sometimes wonder if he sits there in his truck staring at the cones, reflecting on his life and his career choices. I guess recently someone else was concerned about his emotional well being because they put one of his cones on our tracks where it fell victim to the steel wheels of a 200 ton locomotive and was mercilessly cut in two!

I figure he immediately realized that his previously impenetrable fortress wall had been breached. This realization almost certainly reminded him that his job as "Protector of The Cones" was important, even vital!

There he was, a lone commander minus one third of his soldiers! His "trio of ultimate security", was suddenly a duet! Being a resourceful leader, he retrieved his now 2 piece cone. He then called upon the "ancient knowlege of security", buried deep in his psyche and quickly formulated a plan. "It's crazy", he thought. "Just crazy enough to work"!
He placed the bottom half of the cone in it's rightful place on the ground then jammed the remainder of it right on top of it! Success!

His cones were back where they belonged. His tiny orange army was standing proud, and his abandoned fortress was once again safe from intruders. All thanks to his quick thinking and years of experience. Perhaps a lesser man would have been afraid. But not he. He has tasted fear and has no appetite for it. He is the "Protector of The Cones"

I imagine at this point he sat back gazing upon his handi-work. 2 full sized cones and one shorter, slightly crooked cone, and gave a sigh of relief.
Fully sated and content, I suppose he smoked a well deserved cigarette and thought to himself, well done security man, well done!

10 comments:

BlackLOG said...

Sounds like this man needs more cones. The UK has loads of them just littering out roads and stopping us speeding, I mean driving at a perfectly safe, if slightly reckless manner . Actually it's the camera's that stop us speeding. Hmmm he can have the cones if he takes the cameras as well.

Spot said...

Oh my stars Mark! You made me spit coffee out of my nose! Well done, blogbud, well done!! Hahaha. That last line was priceless (which is totally why I copied it). But now you've got me completely wondering why there's a security guard and what he's protecting. There's a book (or at the least short story) in there somewhere.

This was really good. The writing was tight and consise and the imagery was engaging. IMHO, you have a great piece there.

♥Spot

Danica-Dragonfly said...

You are a funny funny dude ... love your posts.

This alone will grant you safe passage to my post-apocadanica world ... ya know, the one sans dorksnorkles.

:)

franzi said...

this is a great post! thanks for making me laugh today

franzi

Mark Price said...

BlackLog, Thanks for stopping by! I'm not sure if he could handle too many cones. 3 keeps him pretty busy.
Spot, I think the real reason he's there is to keep homeless people and vandals out. Coffee in your nose will make everything smell good all day. Thank you for the pat on the back.
Yippeee Danica, Can't wait till you irradicate all the dorksnorkles! Haven't seen your smiling face for a few. ok it's usually me smilin at your posts.
Franzi, Thank you! and You're welcome! Stop by anytime!

Anonymous said...

Staring at the cones, thinking something might happen reminds me of when you and I are sitting a a "red signal" and we know we are going to be stuck there for at least an hour or MORE, but yet we well sit a stare at the signal waiting for it to change for hours until we go numb.
Enjoyed the post!
Brad B. (numb buns signal watcher)

Mark Price said...

Thanks for comin by Brad. You know I'm writing about wilson road right?

kathryn said...

OMG...this is hilarious! You've somehow made this guy into HEROCONEMAN!

I thought for SURE he was gonna use duct tape...and not ANY duct tape, but like, RED or BLACK duct tape.

I'd like you to leave him this note:

Dear HEROCONEMAN!
What, exactly, are you protecting? Should we be concerned? We pass by your place often...and...well, there's the family jewels to consider and all....are we talking health risk, or something minor...like national security? Please sign here. _____________
Love,
Mark's faithful readers who REALLY wanna know.

Mark Price said...

Kathryn thanks for stopping by. I don't think the Ancient Order of Security Guards had any duct tape. They are trained to go bravely into battle oftentimes with their wit and cunning as their only weapons. Kind of like ninjas in dark blue pants that are 2 sizes too small yet always seem to need pulling up, 27 keys jingling, and a 4D Mag light. Basically every young mans role model, and every young lady's fantasy date.

Cynica Sarcastamos said...

Mark! Replace the cones with 3 plastic snowmen! Or 3 pink flamingos? 3 Eric Cartmans... : )