Friday, October 2, 2009

Sweet Deal?

I got an E-Mail today. It was an offer for a $25 gift certificate from Restaraunt.com. Hey it has to be a bargain at only $8 right? Lemme get this straight cause I'm a little slow at math. I send Restaraunt.com $8 and they send me a gift certificate for $25.
I think its safe to assume that Restaraunt.com is paying in the neighborhood of, oh lets be generous, $4 for these gift certificates. So for doing nothing more than irritating me with crap e-mails they make $4 profit. Bravo guys, thats good business. I suppose the restaraunts issuing the gift certificates are pocketing the remaining $4, and without even having to bring me a glass of water. Even better business. Gold star for the marketing department.
Dinner out at a decent restaraunt with my wife and son runs me approx. $55 with a tip. Now when I show up with my $25 gift certificate that knocks the cost down to $30 so I will probably order dessert. $18 for dessert brings my bill up to $48, add to that the cost of the gift certificate ($8) and I have spent $56. Hey a net loss of only $1!! Thats awesome, till I figure in the $5 gas to get to the restaraunt and back home.

Now I have to worry that I may set myself on fire when I get home because at some point I'm going to realize that I spent $8 that ended up costing me $61. I'm no genius, but I have to be smarter than that, right?

Who is buying this stuff? Please... STOP IT! I am reminded of a Shakespeare play, I think it was Romeo and Juliet. "Would a rose by any other name smell as sweet?" (or something like that).
I'm here to tell you this deal smells like a TURD.

Hey I have an idea, Restaraunt.com why don't you send me a $17 gift certificate...for free!

1 comment:

Mark Price said...

no comments hmm. We shall see about that.
Mark, this is a really funny post. I hate junk mail too. Hey are you a math wizard? You are my favorite blog buddy ever. I want to be just like you someday. What are you wearing right now? Will you have my babies? You're AWESOME!!!